Tuesday 17 December 2013

Film poster second drafts - Elliott


Having finally taken the actor photos for our short film, this is what my first poster draft looks like with our pics replacing the stock photos we used as placeholders, as well as a few other small changes. SWEEeeeeEEEEt. I think this came out insanely well so its a bit hard to be critical of myself but I'll give it a go.
Photo before being separated from backdrop
Unfortunately (for me of course) I couldn't afford to buy a professional green screen when we started shooting which meant that each of the three actor shots is taken against a normal wall.

This meant one (goddamn long) boring hour getting the photos rotoscoped and usable- one hour per photo that is. Whenever any photo is done like this there is always a white outline left around the edge of the pic, I tried to minimize this as much as possible, but then decided it could make an interesting design feature: Therefore I decided to leave the top-left outline to make the actors pop out from the black backing (especially because we all have dark hair) and this looks awesome.

I used a lot of colour correction (which I'm now getting nice and practiced at) because without it the pictures looked very amateur and, frankly, looked odd. By dropping saturation, brightness and upping contrast on different parts of the body I could create the very cool effect you see in the above photo. noice.


This is another draft I made (not based on of the first ideas.) I decided to bring this forward because of how cool the shot looked after filming and editing, and also because none of my groups posters were landscape (which apparently is easier to work with). Despite how cool the main photo looks in this poster I much prefer the overall design of my other poster so that is the one I will be taking forward.

I found it very hard to utilise the dead space on this layout which probably shows in the cramped quote in the top-right, and getting the bill block to stand out against black beard and white suit also proved impossible without making it two-tone (something that is never done in the industry) - despite that look at how DAMN COOL that shot looks.

No comments:

Post a Comment