Sunday 24 November 2013

Film poster idea draft - Elliott

click to enlarge
My draft idea for the short film's movie poster, Showing some of the industry conventions. Because we have not yet taken high quality photos of our actors I instead used public domain images that were very similar to what the final pictures will look like. I could have used screenshots from the video footage but that would have involved rotoscoping (tracing) out each character and would have taken far to much time compared to the stock pics which show the idea just as well.
I have also not set up the billing block because I do not have all the details (such as music used or production company name) and rewriting it will be very easy when I do, thanks to the template produced by Video Copilot (they also do great AE plug-ins.)


As a base start for the poster- and, crucially, to get the correct poster dimensions- I started with this film poster for The Dark Knight. Hopefully there is not any visible influence from this in the completed draft. One poster I have taken influence from, however is the simple black on white text style from 'Submarine' which was one of the film posters I analysed for research. Unfortunately because this is a full length film and mine is not, I could not think of as many applicable review companies as Richard Ayoade's poster had (having 4 star reviews and one quote is, I think, the optimal amount for this poster idea) leaving an under-utilization of dead space at the top of my poster.
This was the guide I used, and which turned out to be very annoying to make. The lines helped in making sure that all components of the poster were justified correctly and that all text remained within the crucial 'safe zone' which can be cut off by printing/framing. The red guidelines show the side margins and the first split of the poster (into horizontal thirds.) This way I can keep all reviews in the top third and titling/billing block etc. in the bottom third. The purple and green guides help insure the reviews are central by cutting the review section into quarters. 


No comments:

Post a Comment